Friday, July 9, 2010

Born in the USA

On the Fourth of July we went to Stephanie’s for a party to celebrate American Independence day with the Australians, Brits and a few more Americans. We fixed burgers, mac ‘n cheese and potato salad and of course DIP!!! Queso and ranch dip to be exact. YUM! (Thanks again for our care package Debra and Amy!)

Of course we had a great time! Steph even fixed Root Beer Floats. We proudly wore our boots and I even wore my pistols necklace (not too sure how that was perceived really.) I was asked if everyone in Texas has a gun. I’ll let most of you answer that question. Most people here have not heard the term “shoot first, ask questions later.” Disclaimer: this is a joke, we do not abide by this advice.


(Thanks Mom!) Our care package from Mom came on the 6th which was loaded with the most adorable pictures of Nash, a few of my dresses and most entertaining, “How to Speak Texan in 30 Minutes.” I took it to the office and everyone got a kick out of it. One of our British visitors asked if I really say “This aint my first rodeo.” OF COURSE I DO!! They also asked if there was really a place called Waxahachie. Yes, one of my really great friends parents live there, love you Jill!

Steph and I get a kick out of making the girls in the office listen to world class country songs such as “Honkeytonk Badonkadonk,” “Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy,” and “Boot Scootin Boogie.” They snicker every time one of those amazing tunes plays on the ipod in the office.

The biggest highlight of last week was GREG GOT A JOB!!! He’s now working for URS as a Senior Water Engineer. Evidently his boss likes to fish. (He wants to take me, since I catch the biggest fish.)

This past weekend our new friends who work for Exxon took us to eat good BBQ. The owner of Smokehouse is American and the menu was pretty extensive. We had wings, spinach artichoke dip, brisket, mac ‘n cheese, cole slaw and corn on the cob. Amazing! Apparently it’s the only place in town with BBQ as we know it and we really enjoyed it. We expressed our appreciation to the owner but definitely plan to go back soon.

Again, we miss everyone back home and wish y'all were here to experience this with us! We miss the Good 'Ole US of A but we're enjoying our new home. See y'all soon and take care!